How to Wear a Face Mask
A face mask is a critical tool in the prevention of spreading of diseases. No matter the type of face mask you have, you have to wear it properly to work effectively. In addition to wearing the mask correctly, you also need to ensure you practice safe etiquette when donning and removing the mask to ensure complete safety.
When should you wear a face mask?
Consider wearing a face mask when you’re feeling ill or when you’re coughing or sneezing. The mask will protect those around you from catching the illness by absorbing the droplets that leave your mouth and nose.
How to put on a face mask
To make the most out of the mask, it’s vital to observe all the product instructions and storage of the mask. If the mask’s packaging doesn’t have any instructions, you can follow the steps below on how to put on a mask safely.
- Before handling the mask or removing it out of its package, clean your hands with soap and water or a hand sanitizer.
- Remove the mask from the box and ensure there are no obvious tears or holes on both sides of the mask.
- Determine the top side of the mask. Depending on the type of mask, the features of the top-side might vary.
- Determine the front side of the mask. Usually, this is the coloured side, and it should always face away from you.
- For face masks with ear loops, hold the mask by the ear loops and place each loop around the ear.
- For face masks with ties, bring the mask to the nose-level and place the ties over the crown of your head and tie with a bow.
- When wearing a face mask with bands, hold the mask in your hand with the nosepiece or top of the mask at the fingers. With the mask at the nose-level, pull the bands over your head to rest over the crown of your head. Pull the bottom strap to rest at the nape of your neck.
- If the mask has an aluminium strip, mold it or pinch it to the shape of your nose.
- Finally, pull the bottom of the mask to cover your mouth and chin.
How to remove the face mask
Removing the face mask correctly is just as vital as wearing it. Without the proper procedure, you might contaminate yourself and the mask hence transferring diseases.
Why not also read: Do Face Masks Work?
- Start by washing your hands with soap and water or a hand sanitizer before you start removing the mask. Avoid touching the front of the mask as it might be contaminated. Only focus on touching the loops, ties, or bands of the mask.
- For face masks with ear loops, hold both ear loops and gently lift to remove the mask.
- For face masks with ties, untie the bottom straps first, then pull the top strap over your head.
- After removing the mask, ensure you dispose of it appropriately and clean your hands with soap and water or a sanitizer.
By following these procedures, you can safeguard yourself and those you love from spreading diseases and also help the mask to protect you effectively.